7 Tips to slow down and relax this summer. Implement this in your child’s Yoga!
7 Tips to Slow Down & Relax This Summer
Between work, social engagements, family and friends, the forever long ‘to do’ list, trying to fit in a good workout, and other obligations, most people are constantly running and doing, leaving little to no room for relaxation, activities they truly enjoy—most importantly, themselves.
The summer is the perfect time to slow down and create more space in your hectic life for YOU.
Here are seven tips to slow down, relax, and enjoy your summer vacation—even in the comfort of your own home (or backyard).
1. Take a minute and think about all of your obligations. If there are any you don’t want to do or attend, politely decline. It’s okay to say NO. Packing your schedule with social events can be fun, but also draining, so think about the ones that don’t excite you and take a night off.
2. Review your to do list and assess what is truly a priority and what can be done another day. If it’s not urgent, don’t stress if you can’t cross it off your list. There is always tomorrow.
3. Pick an activity you’ve wanted to try or restaurant you’ve heard rave reviews about, and go out and try it! It’s a great time to take up a new hobby or visit somewhere you’ve never been. It will give you something to look forward to and even put a smile on your face while doing it.
4. Take advantage of the weather. Many of us complain when it’s freezing and snowing out, so try and appreciate this time of year. BBQ, eat outside at your favorite restaurant, go for a walk on the beach or on a scenic hike, enjoy a swim, etc. Get outside and soak in the sun and fresh air (and of course wear your sunscreen!). It’s good for your health and overall well-being and happiness.
5. Create a morning ritual. Before you have your morning coffee, tea, or even get out of bed, start your day on a positive note. Do a breathing exercise, think of a few things you’re grateful for, and set an intention for the day. This is a great way to start a fresh day—with a clear, calm mind.
6. Be a little selfish and schedule “me time” in your calendar. Whether you take a yoga class on the beach or just sit in your backyard with a good book, it’s important to take time for yourself and do things that nourish you and make you happy. Schedule this time into your week, just as you would a work meeting or that infamous happy hour.
7. BREATHE—when you feel yourself getting stressed out or worked up, take a moment, close your eyes, and take a few deep breaths. Re-examine your situation, and remind yourself it’s summertime—and time for you to slow down and chill out.
Stop speeding through life. Slow down and enjoy the ride…
Published June 29, 2012 at 9:03 AM
About Melissa Green
I am a certified Holistic Health Coach. I received my training from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and came in search of this career after working in the fashion industry and feeling unfulfilled, stressed out and truly unhappy. This switch has opened my eyes and heart to my passion and a happier, healthier, and more positive way of living, which I hope to spread on to each of my clients.
As a Health Coach I help young women achieve their health and life goals by incorporating natural foods and healthier habits that work best for them. I support them in creating balance in their busy schedules, reducing stress, increasing energy, and achieving pure happiness, beauty, and confidence from the inside out. Together we make gradual, fun, and lifelong changes to ensure each individual is living their best self!